- All Debates
- Popular Debates
- Active Debates
- New Debates
- Open Challenge Debates
- My Challenge Debates
- Accepted Challenges
- Debate Communities
- Argument Waterfall
- New People
- People by Points
Your profile reflects your reputation, it will build itself as you create new debates, write arguments and form new relationships.
Tell those starving poor african kids that if they dont worship the words of a possibly fictional dead Palestinian Jewish Carpenter who lived over a thousand years ago, then they will live in a place where they will be tortured for all eternity? No thanks. How about instead we give them some food
Not a Christian:
Hitler was raised in a Roman Catholic household and served as an alter boy in his youth, but during his adult years never attended Mass nor ever expressed any signs of personal religiousity. However in the early rise of Nazism, Hitler strongly identified with his Catholic origions and throughout his auto-biography "Mein Kampf" is littered with biblical references, such as;"I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.." However in private, Hitler displayed a largely different attitude towards Christianity, even stating he considered the Bible "too Jewish". There was also a large plan the Nazis had to eradicate Christianitys hold on Europe had they succeeded in the war.
That should give insight why Hitler wasnt a Christian, however it was more unlikely that he was an Atheist....
Not an Atheist:
Despite his personal hostility towards traditional Christianity, Hitler never made any personal, public, or written statement denouncing the existnce or a personal doubt of the existance of a God or supreme being. Despite his doubt of christianity, Hitler still made plenty of personal references to a God or a Creator. He also had a strong interest in the occult and early germanic-norse paganism, therefore hinting that he believed in the supernatural. He also largely endorsed the movement of " Positive Christianity", the official Nazi endorsed version of Christianity which depicted Jesus Christ as an Aryan warrior who fought against the Jews. Also throughout the rule of the Nazis and Germany, the traditional national phrase left over from the German Empire years "Got Mitt Uns" ("God with us" in German) was still embraced as the states motto and was worn on the belt buckles of Werchmaht (German army) soldiers. The German army also recruited official christian chaplins to lead in prayers in the military circles, and soldiers were required to take this oath:
"I swear by God this sacred oath that to the Leader of the German empire and people, Adolf Hitler, supreme commander of the armed forces, I shall render unconditional obedience and that as a brave soldier I shall at all times be prepared to give my life for this oath."
Also many Atheistic and/or secular groups were shut down by the Nazis, being demonized as a tool of "Godless" Communism. Also many books that encouraged secularism and/or atheism were destroyed by the regime, such as Charles Darwins "Origins of the species".
So in short, although Hitler may nit have been a Christian, there is little evidence, historic or otherwise, to suggest that he was an Atheist. (In fact many historians concluded that Hitlers anti-semitism may have stemmed from his strict Catholic upbringing). Judging by his numerous quotes expressing a belief in a "creator" or a "higher power", as well as his admiration for the occult, "positive Christianity", and Norse paganism, it can most likely be concluded that Hitler was a Diest of sorts.
"Morally questionable" verses from the Bible:
1. Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God:
" Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)
2. Kill Followers of Other Religions:
1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)
2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)
3. Kill People for Working on the Sabbath:
The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)
4.Infidels and Gays Should Die:
So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)
5. Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests:
Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)
6. Kill Nonbelievers:
They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)
7. If A Man Rapes A Woman, He Should Marry Her:
"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."
(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)
8. Death To Rape Victim:
"If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife."
(Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)
9. Rape Of Female Captives:
"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion."
(Deuteronomy 21:10-14 NAB)
10. Sex Slaves:
"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment." (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
Christian inspired atrocities:
2. Spanish Inquisition
3. Witch hunts
4. Mass muder, enslavement, and forced relocation of The Native Americans
5. Enslavement of Africans
6. Holocaust (Hitler identified as catholic many times and in his speech at the Reichstag in 1936 he said: “I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty
Creator. By warding off the Jews I am fighting for the Lord’s work.” He also managed to gather the support of the predominatley Christian population of Germany and Churches)
7. Bombing of abortion clinics
8. Rwandan Genocide (although often argued that it was politically motivated, multiple churches and priests participated)
9. Genocide of Bosnian Muslims in the Yugoslavic wars of the 90's
10. Ngo Diems perseccution of buddhists during his rule of South Vietnam
11. Destruction of Pagans during the Christian rule of the Roman Empire
12. The Catholic Church "Pedophile" network
13. Genocides in Africa being condoned and commited by various Christian churches and priests
14. Bushes "faith inspired" war on terror has caused over millions of lives ranging from American and NATO soldiers to countless of Afghan and Iraqi civilians.
15. Mass murder, enslavement, and forced relocation of Austrailian natives
16. Throughout the history of the Russian empire, the various Czars with the backing of the Russian Orthodox Church persecuted Jews and ethnic minorities.
17. Charlemagne had 4500 saxons beheaded for refusing to convert to Christianity
18. Catholic led extermination camps in Croatia during the early 1940's
19. The Modern day Catholic church discourages use of contraceptives in heavily HIV infested parts of Africa, causing the lives of many to AIDS each year
20. The largley "Catholic" Irish Republican Army and their violent campaign in Northern Ireland during the Troubles.